Wednesday, November 5, 2008

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

Oi! I was really productive today, even though I've been dog-sick since Sunday!



Look, this is me being productive. (Or just stupid with the camera, go figure.)


No, in all seriousness, I'm really quite proud of my ability to go off on my own around here and get things done. I'll admit, part of my culture-shock has been the fear of exploring on my own. Want to stay in the comfort zone, ya know. I mean, it's not like I lock myself in my apartment all the time. I go out a lot! But...I've shied away a little from going out alone. However, I've been gradually reaching out, doing things without calling people first, and practicing my chinese. It's horribly awkward of course, and terribly embarrassing, but...fun! (in a strange masochistic kinda way...)

So, tonight I went to grab some dinner (ran into Andy, said hello, traded some english and chinese and agreed to eat lunch together tomorrow). Then, I went to the store to buy some candy for my morning class tomorrow. I ran out of candy on them last week (for Halloween), so I'd promised to get more. Buying candy here is a little weird usually, because often they just have big buckets of it that you throw into a bag and have measured by the...umm..jing? jin? Not sure how it's pronounced....but it's a weight unit. I managed to have whole conversations over this candy tonight and bought way more than I needed. (I wanted some for myself of course!)

Next, I went to the phone shop to recharge my minutes again. Okay, family. Get skype. Seriously? I can't afford to waste anymore minutes on you people! If Grandma can get a computer when she doesn't even have CABLE, then Mom - you can get a damn microphone! Do it!

I also bought some oranges on my way home. This prompted another conversation about fruit, where I learned how to say "orange", "apple", "kiwi" and "pear" with a changsha accent!

...

Is that a good thing? *shrug* Who knows.


Now, I'm going to take some of this chinese medicine and watch Dr. Who before bed, because I think my fever has returned. Great.

0 bridges connected: